Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 107 - the study of ants

We finished studying insects last week (more on that later) and the girls were fascinated with the ant hill.  When the ants arrived they were in two little tubes.  We put them into the refrigerator to slow them down a bit and then Ken dumped them into the sand.  I'm glad he was willing to do it because I really didn't want to.  They are Harvester Ants and they bite!   I think this unit, Insects, has been Ken's favorite so far.   Even though this study is over and we've moved on, the ants are still with us.  They live anywhere from 2-4 weeks so it could be any time now.  All of us love watching the ants work and check on them often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son has an ant farm... we've never gotten ants though and now he has a worm farm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the shot

Shannon said...

First of all, that song (Baby Mine) reminds me of the movie.... Beaches is so awesome. Anyway, wanted to say that the Ants were a big hit here. I was not too sure and never expected to be so fascinated by the ants. Everyone in the house loved it. I read that the ants can live about 45 days and ours were doing great... over a month... until Caden came along and turned them upside down. I think the trauma was too much for them. The next day they were all dead. Gotta love a rambuctious three year old!